Saturday, February 02, 2008

Letters to the Editor

Hello,

I've been having some health issues lately and therefore been away from my computer. But today I spewed some opinions in various directions, including a couple of letters to the editor.

-------

Dear PBS NewsHour,

I think it's past due for you to bring in a woman commentator as one of your cornerstone pundits. Currently you have Mark Shields and David Brooks; you used to have Paul Gigot; occasionally you have E. J. Dionne. Jim Lehrer and his buddies; it's overly male.

I was moved to write you today about this because of last night's show (Feb. 1st), in which you had Shields and Brooks discuss the presidential candidates, particularly Clinton and Obama. Shields closed his commentary with the punchy line, "If you want information, you go for Clinton; if you want inspiration, you go for Obama."

Well, I'm tired of male pundits insisting that Obama is the one who owns inspiration. For many, many women - and not just Democrats - Hillary Clinton is darn inspirational. Representing our first hope for a women president, she symbolizes inspiration for countless American women. The media's overwhelming majority of male political pundits seem to be completely oblivious to this fact.

Sincerely,
...
-------

Dear New Yorker Magazine,

I waited until having watched the first week before reading Nancy Franklin's review of new HBO series "In Treatment" and was disappointed that she didn't touch on what I find to be the show's most egregious failing: the patients' totally unbelievable aggression and anger toward their therapist. Each of the first five episodes becomes a confrontation of patient and therapist. Using similar if not the exact same words, the patients - including the protagonist therapist with his own counselor - make unreasonable demands and accusations, spewing hostility at the psychologist almost from the getgo: "Listen to yourself!" "You're twisting what I'm saying!" "I just want a simple yes or no!"

This type of direct confrontation with one's psychologist is as rare in reality as it is overwhelming in these five first episodes. Instead of being about the patient, "In Treatment" makes each session about the beleaguered therapist. The continuous angry outbursts are repetitive and boring and undermine the series' credibility. Rather than giving the HBO viewer a compelling inside peek at what goes on in psychotherapy, first-week writer Rodrigo Garcia seems to be working out some issues of his own on "In Treatment."

Sincerely,
...

gertrude

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It isn't hard at all to start making money online in the hush-hush world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]adsense blackhat[/URL], Don’t feel silly if you have no clue about blackhat marketing. Blackhat marketing uses little-known or not-so-known avenues to produce an income online.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home