three rants
On the subway recently I spied a public service advertisement from the New York State government that says, "Love your child. Don't leave her alone in the bathtub." The ad showed a photo of a little girl, two or three years old, standing inside a bathtub, wearing a cute red top with thin straps. What's wrong with this picture? Children in bathtubs tend to be naked. But in this hysterically prudish society, I guess seeing a three-year-old's nipples is TABOO. How fucking ridiculous. It's a ridiculous ad.
The client for whom we're doing all the user testing was with us on a conference call yesterday and told us that he and his friends had just gone hunting, and had killed a bear. I felt ill and really wanted to leave the room. I got really agitated. He seems like a nice, down-to-earth guy, but what kind of creep goes and MURDERS A BEAR? New Jersey just a week ago temporarily lifted a ban on bear-hunting since there are apparently too many of the bothersome creatures. Invading our space, going through our trash cans, I mean really. Shoot them! Yay! Killed one!
I remember reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and when Pa managed to shoot a bear the most delicious part were the soft pads of their paws. I wonder whether this macho client did anything with the dead bear. What's the protocol?
There was a third thing I wanted to rant about. Oh yeah - in yesterday's Times there was an article about the gender gap, specifically in the ad industry. I found this chart particularly interesting - comparing what total percentage women represent in an industry versus what percentage they represent in management. Check it out.
grrrrr
gertrude
The client for whom we're doing all the user testing was with us on a conference call yesterday and told us that he and his friends had just gone hunting, and had killed a bear. I felt ill and really wanted to leave the room. I got really agitated. He seems like a nice, down-to-earth guy, but what kind of creep goes and MURDERS A BEAR? New Jersey just a week ago temporarily lifted a ban on bear-hunting since there are apparently too many of the bothersome creatures. Invading our space, going through our trash cans, I mean really. Shoot them! Yay! Killed one!
I remember reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and when Pa managed to shoot a bear the most delicious part were the soft pads of their paws. I wonder whether this macho client did anything with the dead bear. What's the protocol?
There was a third thing I wanted to rant about. Oh yeah - in yesterday's Times there was an article about the gender gap, specifically in the ad industry. I found this chart particularly interesting - comparing what total percentage women represent in an industry versus what percentage they represent in management. Check it out.
grrrrr
gertrude

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home