Wednesday, October 19, 2005

co-narcissism

My sister sent me this a couple of weeks ago: Co-Narcissism: How we accommodate to narcissistic parents by Alan Rappaport, a famous psychiatrist. It's a brilliant article but we've both been struggling over it and several others on the topic. We grew up with a terribly narcissistic mother, who causes damage to this day. I've been feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the truth in this material. I also see several other people in my life struggling from the same co-narcissist symptoms.

Still digesting and mulling.

gertrude

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

Co-narcissism is a terrible affliction that can ruin your life. I can relate. The article by Alan Rappaport is very concise and good. Once you're done with it, check out these books. You can get them on Amazon.com. Good luck and all the best.

Maverick



The Narcissistic Family: Diagnosis and Treatment
by Stephanie Donaldson-Pressman, Robert M. Pressman
ISBN-10: 0787908703

Children of the Self-Absorbed: A Grown-Up's Guide to Getting over Narcissistic Parents (Paperback)
by Nina W. Brown
ISBN-10: 1572242310

Trapped in the Mirror (Paperback)
Elan Golomb
ISBN-10: 0688140718

6:02 AM  
Blogger Ness said...

Hi - these are probably old posts so I don't know if you will pick this up
I live in the UK (Wales) and discovered the same Alan Rappaport article yesterday. It has been a revelation to me. My relationship of two years has recently broken down and I think that my partner was in the narcissistic role, with me the co-narcissist.... although we may well have switched at times (I'm not sure). I certainly identify with the co-narcissistic characteristics outlined in the article. I am definitely interested in finding out more about it....Thanks
Ness

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps Dr Rappoport's description is hard to take, but it is the first definition that gives me something to work with. He says that low self esteem is the bottom line. It is better to feel the pain than to try to compensate for it, either through grandiosity or people-pleasing. Now, at least, I have a place to start.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps Dr Rappoport's description is hard to take, but it is the first definition that gives me something to work with. He says that low self esteem is the bottom line. It is better to feel the pain than to try to compensate for it, either through grandiosity or people-pleasing. Now, at least, I have a place to start.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, to all.
i just discoveref dr rappaports article and like gertrude was overwhelmed with the truth of it.
i am so grateful to have learnt this abt myself and abt my father... whom i love but i have struggled all my life to understand.

im even more grateful to have found other people, just like me. it makes me feel less alone, and therefore less helpless.

thank you, just for posting this. its helped.

2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home