Monday, October 31, 2005

single mom

Somebody left a little pumpkin-headed soap bubbles blower on my desk. It must have been Amy. It blows good bubbles! Happy Halloween. The cats turn 11, as young in body and spirit as ever, I think. I did a lot of sleeping this weekend, and it felt good to have Moritz curled with his hindpaws against my back, and Puck snailed into the crook of my knees. They always need to touch me, to make sure I don't get away without them noticing. Moritz snores, sometimes so bad I have to wake him up so I can get to sleep. I have considered the Breathe-Right strips.

Again, I have women and work on my mind. In cubeville, on Thursday, I heard Sarah fielding a reference call across the way. "Rebecca has the keenest editorial eye I've ever experienced," she says. "I can't say enough good stuff about her." The caller clearly asks about Rebecca's weaknesses. "Well, you know Rebecca is a single mom," and Sarah's voice sinks conspiratorially, like SHE and the CALLER would never find themselves in such a JAM as to be a single mom. "And so sometimes she puts her private life before work."

I couldn't believe the words were leaving her mouth. I wanted to catch them, go back in time. How dare she? It's ILLEGAL to even ask applicants about their personal life, marital status, whether they have children and the like, precisely to protect them from being discriminated against. To protect them against the stereotype that single moms can't do the same work other women or men can do. And here we have this Modern Woman, who mouthes off all the time about liberal issues, so predictably it's pathetic, getting condescending and conspiratorial about a single mom. The poor single mom who thought she was safe giving Sarah as a reference.

Off to a meeting.

gertrude

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home