live, moussaoui
I guess I should follow my friend B's advice and write about what I feel strongly about, like I used to on Pandora. And these days, there is nothing infuriating me quite so much as the fact that Zacarias Moussaoui is being considered for the death penalty. Nothing!
''If not this case, then when is a death sentence appropriate?'' asked prosecutor David Novak rhetorically in his closing remarks. ''How many people have to die?'' Well, it's not so much how many people have to die as much as how many people Moussaoui has to kill, namely at least ONE. To be considered for the death penalty, that is. (And even then, only under certain circumstances.) Problem is, Moussaoui has NOT in fact killed a SINGLE PERSON. Are we living the "Minority Report," where people are penalized for their thoughts? (I haven't seen the movie but I gather that's what it's about. I won't see movies with Tom Cruise. I loathe him. That would actually be enough feeling for another post.)
Apparently, we are doing to Moussaoui exactly that: prosecuting him for his thoughts, his fantasies, his desires. The fact that he's happy that people died on September 11. The United States wants to put him to death for his thoughts. He didn't DO anything. He was imbecilic enough to get caught for stupid questions and besides, there is a significant amount of intelligence that says that Al Qaeda wasn't considering him for the hijacker spot anyway due to his mental instability and unreliableness. I just watched The Hamburg Cell, which showed this as well. (Very good movie. Very neutral, not yanking at one's emotions all the damn time.)
I am not hearing anyone argue this point. Is anyone? Is anyone else angry and sick at the thought that we might be witnessing the legalized death of someone for his association and thoughts rather than any crime he committed? If not, you all make me ill.
gertrude
''If not this case, then when is a death sentence appropriate?'' asked prosecutor David Novak rhetorically in his closing remarks. ''How many people have to die?'' Well, it's not so much how many people have to die as much as how many people Moussaoui has to kill, namely at least ONE. To be considered for the death penalty, that is. (And even then, only under certain circumstances.) Problem is, Moussaoui has NOT in fact killed a SINGLE PERSON. Are we living the "Minority Report," where people are penalized for their thoughts? (I haven't seen the movie but I gather that's what it's about. I won't see movies with Tom Cruise. I loathe him. That would actually be enough feeling for another post.)
Apparently, we are doing to Moussaoui exactly that: prosecuting him for his thoughts, his fantasies, his desires. The fact that he's happy that people died on September 11. The United States wants to put him to death for his thoughts. He didn't DO anything. He was imbecilic enough to get caught for stupid questions and besides, there is a significant amount of intelligence that says that Al Qaeda wasn't considering him for the hijacker spot anyway due to his mental instability and unreliableness. I just watched The Hamburg Cell, which showed this as well. (Very good movie. Very neutral, not yanking at one's emotions all the damn time.)
I am not hearing anyone argue this point. Is anyone? Is anyone else angry and sick at the thought that we might be witnessing the legalized death of someone for his association and thoughts rather than any crime he committed? If not, you all make me ill.
gertrude

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home