Saturday, June 02, 2007

Wish I was there

So ya
Thought ya
Might like to
go to the show


I just said goodbye to my sister. She was here visiting for a week from London. It was so good to see her. I can be completely myself with her, admit anything, say whatever, be grumpy or whiny, or silly or sad. I miss her again already.

I took off two days to hang out with her and we went into Manhattan to go clothes shopping in Soho. All I really wanted was bras but we didn't find any. I'm about ready to post on Craig's List for cotton bras - size 34B, no padding, no lining, just plain. Or underwire. I cannot find any online anywhere and I've really looked - Sears, Hanes, Victoria's Secret, Gap, Amazon.com. All the bras are made of artificial material and padded or "lined"; I had no idea that women all wear padded bras! Do they? Or is it just in small sizes, like if you're a B cup then you MUST get a padded bra? I used to be able to find bras but it's been a few years since I bought any. If you have any pointers, please post.

I also ended up trying on some pants, since I've lost so much weight all of mine hang off me like I'm a scarecrow. And I couldn't find any nice slacks small enough. Size 2s made me look like I was wearing a diaper. The clothes that fit me I get from Delia's and Alloy, which are for teenagers. I need to gain some weight, and I know it, but it's the usual thing about having no appetite.

Anyways, the next day we went to the Brooklyn Museum to see the Global Feminisms exhibit. It was interesting; a lot of it was video installations. It was also disturbing. The art, I mean. However, the Brooklyn Museum also has on permanent exhibit Judy Chicago's The Dinner Party, and that is fantastic. It really brought back to me my days in college studying women's history and women's literature; I knew so many of the women at the table. It's very moving and the detail of the pieces are amazing. I'm happy that it's always there so I can keep visiting.

And not enough personal history on one day ... that evening we went to see Roger Waters at Madison Square Garden. I had no idea, until the band started playing, how much I love Pink Floyd. Or rather, I had forgotten. The concert was brilliant, complete with gigantic flying pig balloon with "Impeach Bush" on its butt and "Habeus corpus rules" on its side. They played songs from albums from The Wall to Final Cut. I had goosebumps.

Music has an incredible ability to put things into perspective sometimes: it's bigger than your stupid work annoyances, it's bigger than the frustrating HMO dealings, it's more eternal than what somebody said that hurt your feelings that day.

gertrude

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home